Sunday, January 20, 2008

Johnie's Broiler - Downey, CA


One of the many attractions I find when following railroad tracks through unfamiliar towns is that I often come across old buildings that are forgotten pieces of history.. some not so forgotten such as this place on Firestone in Downey, CA.

I snapped this image on January 10th 2008, which happens to be just over a year after this illegal partial demolition took place (January 7th 2007).

I had recalled reading about the events last year after they had taken place, but until I went following a local train into South Gate I had not realized I was passing the actual building. Strange is that I had been by this location at least 4 other times, and three of them were prior to it being in it's current state. Yet I had never stopped to taken a photo, nor really noticed it.

There are many sites dedicated to this car hop, though most of the ones I came across only paid attention to the Broiler while it was current news, and have provided no further updates on the status of the action taken. I did find one that listed there being a city council meeting about it sometime in early January 2008, and another listing a Ghost Cruise for a few hot rod clubs .

Here is a link to one of the sites that has information and links to what took place and some history.
http://www.roadsidepeek.com/preserv/2002/johniesbroiler/

I think my next time down there chasing the Union Pacific local train I will incorporate the broiler into the grade crossing photo... or at least attempt it.

No comments: